Weathering and Erosion
Read each statement below. If the statement is true, write T in the space provided. If the statement is false, write F in the space provided.
___1. Joints are often formed when the pressure on rock decreases.
___2. Rocks weather most rapidly in a hot, dry climate.
___3. Tropical soils generally make good farmland.
___4. Steep slopes are often too dry to support plant growth.
___5. Transported soils usually have three distinct horizons.
___6. Galvanizing is a process used to inhibit rusting.
___7. The C horizon in a residual soil consists of partially weathered bedrock.
___8. Mudflows occur most often on plains and peneplains.
___9. The most rapid and sudden type of downslope mass movement is known as creep.
__10. Oxidation often produces a reddish soil.
Choose the one best response. Write the letter of that choice in the space provided.
____11. Which of the following is a type of mechanical weathering?
a. oxidation b. hydrolysis c.carbonation d. ice wedging
____12. Which of the following generally weathers most rapidly?
a. limestone b. obsidian c. granite d.gneiss
____13. Which of the following mierals is most resistant to weathering?
a. calcite b. feldspar c. sandstone d.quartz
____14. Glaciers weather surface rocks mainly through the process of :
c. abrasion d. decomposition
___15. Which of the following soil types has the smallest particle size?
a. silt b.sand c.clay gravel
___16. Which of the following is a type of accelerated erosion?
a. leaching b.terracing c.gullying d.wedging
___17. Humus is made up mainly of:
a. weathered rock fragments b. organic material
c. unjointed bedrock d. iron particles
___18. Which of the following rocks is most likely to weather quickly?
a. an exposed rock on a plain b. an exposed rock on a slope
c. a buried rock on a plain d. a buried rock on a slope
19. Which type of mechanical weathering occurs when water seeps into cracks in a rock and freezes?__________
20. What common mineral in limestone is most easily weathered by carbonation?_________________________
21. In what type of decomposition reaction do hydrogen ions from water displace elements in a mineral?_____________________________________________________________________
22. What is the name for a soil containing iron and aluminum minerals that do not dissolve easily in water?________________________________________________
23. What is the name of the process by which the products of weathering are transported?________________________________________________
24. Which type of accelerated erosion occurs when high winds or the removal of cover plants causes parallel layers of topsoil to be stripped away?_______________________________________________
25. Which type of mass movement occurs when a large block of soil and rock slides downhill along a curved slope due to gravity?________________________________________________
26. What is the correct term for a knob of rock that rises up from a peneplain?_________________________
27. What type of mechanical weathering is commonly caused by wind-carried sand?_______________________
28. What is the name for the landform that is created when a plateau is dissected into smaller tablelike areas?_____________________
29. How can youthful mountains be distinguished from mature mountains?
30. What are pedocal soils, and under what circumstances do they form?
31. How would a soil formed from a feldspar-rich rock differ from a soil formed form a quartz-rich rock?
32. Describe three farming methods that are used to reduce the erosion of farmland.
33. How is a desert soil similar to an arctic soil?